Caching learned MSS/MTU values

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Sat Oct 26 01:05:14 CEST 2013

Hi Hannes,

Sure - do you have instructions on how to do this?

> (it would also be necessary if you strive upstream inclusion).

The code is still a long ways off from proposing for upstream
inclusion, but I will definitely keep this in mind.

> Could you tell me an exact date or commit id where you cloned these
> files from?

I pulled the tarball from:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.10.12.tar.xz

and made the edits directly in those files.

> Regarding IPv6 PMTU issues: it seems we had some rather broken behaviour
> in linux for some time. In some cases races could lead to complete
> blackholes to some IPv6 destinations for minutes. In the end it seemed
> pretty good reproduceable and I wonder why not many more people did
> report bugs.  I hope the relevant patches will land in one of the next
> stable kernels. It is not always a bad configured bad firewall. ;)

Yes, there are at least two things that would help - RFC4821 for
hosts and SEAL for tunnels.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com