Caching learned MSS/MTU values

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at stressinduktion.org
Fri Oct 25 22:49:05 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:23:00PM +0000, Templin, Fred L wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> > Oh, that is interesting. I'll have a look at the weekend.
>
> OK. I had to roll another version to make some minor
> changes - see:
>
> http://linkupnetworks.com/seal/sealv2-0.2.tgz
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-templin-intarea-seal-64.txt
>
> I will let it rest for now, so this would be the version to
> start looking at. Let me know if there are any questions or
> comments.

Do you plan to convert them to git for easier patch management? I would
highly recommend it (it would also be necessary if you strive upstream
inclusion).

Could you tell me an exact date or commit id where you cloned these
files from?

Regarding IPv6 PMTU issues: it seems we had some rather broken behaviour
in linux for some time. In some cases races could lead to complete
blackholes to some IPv6 destinations for minutes. In the end it seemed
pretty good reproduceable and I wonder why not many more people did
report bugs.  I hope the relevant patches will land in one of the next
stable kernels. It is not always a bad configured bad firewall. ;)

Greetings,

  Hannes