Over-utilisation of v6 neighbour slots

JÁKÓ András jako.andras at eik.bme.hu
Fri Oct 25 10:32:48 CEST 2013

> Um, doesn't the very fact that you are complaining that this is increasing
> costs of logging the mapping between layer 2 and 3 addresses prove the
> point that it is a privacy benefit?
>
> I'm sorry, but most things that make it more expensive for oppressive
> regimes to track down the true source of traffic sure seem like privacy
> benefits to me.
>
> I for one say, bring it on Apple, and the rest too.  I'd like an option to
> rotate my privacy address for every TCP session.

As a university campus network operator, I'd be happy to stop trying to
identify our misbehaving clients (those infected by malware, sending
spam, etc.) by looking at traffic patterns, stop mapping those IP
addresses to MAC addresses and finally to users, and stop blocking their
network access until they fix their devices. Believe me, it's easier for
us to let them use their infected machines, and let those devices e.g.
take part in DDoS against other networks. As I understand it's rather
rare that a couple of devices participating in a DDoS attack on my
campus network does any harm to our network. They'll have their privacy,
I'll have less work, that's a win-win.

Regards,
András