Over-utilisation of v6 neighbour slots

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Oct 24 14:47:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 08:37:25AM -0400, Bill Owens wrote:
> > Given their ignorance of collateral damage done to operators, users
> > and IPv6 deployment in general by their implementation of Happy
> > Eyeballs (alias "Hampering Eyeballs"), I have zero hope.
>
> My recollection of the complaint about Apple's implementation is that it
> doesn't bias the choice in favor of IPv6; is that the root of the problem?

It is, because it causes a lot of nastiness as a side effect.

Most annoying for me: non-determinism, so going to a web page and pressing
"reload" a few times will flip-flop between IPv4 and IPv6 (which, if one
is working and one is not, will make troubleshooting harder than necessary).

Most annoying for people that run large-scale IPv4 NATs: lots of extra load
is put on the NAT that would not be necessary if the client would just do
IPv6.

Microsoft's implementation ("prefer IPv6 if it seems to work to a test
host") is not without it's own problems, but overall, much less unfriendly
to network elements and sysadmins.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279