Over-utilisation of v6 neighbour slots

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Thu Oct 24 09:18:04 CEST 2013

Hi Phil and list,

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

> Shrug. People have them (in quantity) because they're cost effective
> and did a mix of stuff that no other box did, that it turns out a lot
> of people wanted, and in most cases tolerably well.

the problem here is that with mobile devices getting increasingly
popular, the design of the supervisor engine is outdated.  So I agree
with James that "we have to cope with", where "we" is "the entire
industry, including the router vendors".

In my opintion the problem here is not so much Apple, but Cisco.  While
I understand that CAM/TCAM is painfully expensive in hardware, in the
long run increasing its size is the way to go.  On the Cisco side, the
quick workaround may be a reliable expiration mechanism.  On your side,
maybe some further segmentation can help to spread the load over
multiple routers (yes, I know that's frequently not an option on WiFi).

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6