Over-utilisation of v6 neighbour slots

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 23 10:02:16 CEST 2013

On 10/23/2013 07:25 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 22/10/2013 17:18, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> It's stuff like this that makes me think it's *still* not time to offer
>> a general v6 service.
>
> generally, the sup720 is not a good edge device for third party L3 services
> due to rate limiter issues.

Shrug. People have them (in quantity) because they're cost effective and
did a mix of stuff that no other box did, that it turns out a lot of
people wanted, and in most cases tolerably well.

They'll eventually get replaced and then we'll be complaining about the
next device. But there's no guarantee that the next device won't have
the EXACT same problem; we would have seen the same issue on sup2T or
N7k/M-series.

Maybe some other device like an ASR or MX would handle direct-attached
neighbours with more aplomb, but then we'd have about 1/2-1/3 the
traffic capacity as a result of their higher cost, and our customers
want "teh bandwidths". And I'm absolutely certain those platforms have
issues.

There's no perfect device, otherwise we'd all be buying it and this
discussion wouldn't be happening.