Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Christopher Palmer Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com
Sat Oct 12 02:55:32 CEST 2013

It doesn't. The Windows Teredo sunset process and the usage of Teredo of Xbox are separate discussions. The server deployments are separate, the customers that are affected, etc.

I'll provide a fairly informal explanation for this divergence. On Windows, people aren't using Teredo for anything really cool (very informal) Teredo causes random headaches for customers and maintaining the service is moderately painful for our team . When we did the deactivation test, generally everything was great.

On Xbox One, Teredo's usage is focused on a particular application suite and forms a critical part of an end-user experience. Teredo by itself isn't useful, it's the secure P2P connectivity we're providing to developers, and the usage of Teredo is an implementation detail of the abstraction we're providing.

At some point we might considering exposing a similar abstraction in Windows (for games or otherwise) - which would put Teredo in a more advantageous light. But right now, on Windows, Teredo is just an IPv6 address providing limited end-user value.