'Upgrading' NAT64 to 464XLAT?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Nov 26 08:45:38 CET 2013

Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> writes:

> * Dick Visser
>
>> I just am reading up on the RFC and it looks like it doesn't have to
>> be on the end host necessarily:
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6877#section-6.5
>
> This is implemented in Android - its wireless hotspot feature works just
> fine using IPv6-only + 464XLAT as the upstream mobile connectivity. The
> hotspot zone remains IPv4-only though,

Really?  I have only tested on Android 4.2 (without the CLAT), but USB
tethering with IPv6 seems to work fine.  The phone sends RAs with it's
allocated prefix. It's also sharing the DNS64 enabled DNS servers via
DHCPv6, so DNS64/NAT64 works fine from the clients (of the phone).

The only complaint I have about this IPv6 only setup is that the phone
doesn't disable it's DHCPv4 server, so clients asking for an IPv4
address will get it.  Which won't provide access to anything with the
CLAT daemon...

It's a minor issue though.  This is of course going to work just with
464XLAT in place.

Bjørn