http://www.6assist.net/ - call for test

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Fri May 10 11:33:51 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-10 11:17, Max Tulyev wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are developping a new kind of IPv6 tunnel broker. The main idea is
> let the traffic flow directly between peers, not through the tunnel
> broker server.
>
> The website of that project is http://www.6assist.net/
>
> It acts like a virtual media IXP, and anybody have own ASN can join it.

For SixXS we have thought about allowing people, FOR EXPERIMENTATION, to
use a private ASN, and then do something similar, this so that people
can play a bit with BGP (time and other things has caused it not to be
there though).

There are a number of "IX"/VPN platforms out there that allow this
already though, http://www.virt-ix.net/ for instance and the numerous
hackerspace VPN networks.

For your "problem statement" from the page:

"The main disadvantage of using a tunnel broker is traffic path not
optimal. Imagine you are in Germany, use the IPv6 tunnel broker in USA
and connecting via IPv6 to some server in Italy"

The answer is simple: get an ISP in that local country to set up a
tunnel broker PoP. Traffic will then be properly routed.

Tunnels should go to endsites, not between networks.

Greets,
 Jeroen