slaac/privacy extensions disable at boottime at linux

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 25 12:41:52 CEST 2013

On 25/06/13 10:25, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> more and more linux-distributors switch on privacy extensions by
> default. In my LAN I have router advertisements on because of
> dynamically configured mobile devices. But I also have PCs with static
> addresses. Unfortunately sysctl-rules catch some seconds to late. So the
> NFS-configuration fails, afterwards postfix fails and so on.
>
> My question is: Is there a kernel boot option to disable SLAAC
> completely or at least the
> net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr

This varies by distro. For example, see the related recent discussion on
disabling autoconf in Ubuntu (and RHEL)

Basically, a lot of the IPv6 networking scripts on Linux are hacky
bolt-ons (with the greatest of respect to those who wrote them!). They
often trample over global sysctl settings, and often run *after*
link-up, which might be too late to disable certain options.

Which distro are you on?