Point-to-point /64

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Jun 2 20:18:15 CEST 2013

> > > Subnet anycast is not a supported feature or requirment in my network.
> >
> > As subnet anycast is a integral part of IPv6, you might not want to
> > support or require it, but the gear will implement it and thus one point
> > it will bite you as suddenly it won't work.
> >
> > Likely though you are just putting the PtP links as 2x /128 and not as a
> > /127 on the link. The former works, the latter breaks.
>
> Funny, /127 works great for "real" point to point links (SDH). I tried
> it just now on an Ethernet link between a JunOS 11.4 box and an IOS XR
> 4.2.3 box in my lab - and it seems to work just great there too.
>
> What is the real usage of IPv6 subnet anycast?

Some interesting discussion on the use of /127 - but I still haven't
seen any info on the real usage of IPv6 subnet anycast. I'm tempted to
draw the conclusion that nobody uses IPv6 subnet anycast.

(As opposed to the *normal* way of doing anycast, which is the same for
IPv4 and IPv6, and which we and many others use to great effect for DNS
and similar services.)

Steinar Haug, AS 2116