Point-to-point /64

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Sat Jun 1 23:51:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

> /127 is actually what IETF recommends in RFC6164 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6164)
> /126 is not officially supported in this RFC.
>
> I have used /127 on "real" P2P links as well as Ethernet links connecting 2 routers.

I can confirm this. I use /127s on point to point links and it works great. I have been using it on Juniper and Cisco. No problems at all. They seem to follow RFC6164.

I reserve the whole /64 but configure a /127. When choosing which /127 out of the /64 to use I usually pick ::a and ::b which makes it nice and readable for the admins. Much nicer than :: and ::1 (which would also violate the SHOULD NOT of RFC6164 section 6a) anyway :-)

Cheers,
Sander