[pfSense] IPv6 Routing in pfSense

Nick Buraglio nick at buraglio.com
Mon Jul 1 19:10:09 CEST 2013

I've worked pretty extensively with pfSense since it's early alpha
days and have had private builds with IPv6 for years and years. It
works well under 2.1-BETA and has supported DHCPv6-PD for a while on
the WAN side.    I've been using the 2.1-BETA train in production for
a very long time with good results but I don't believe the IPv6 DNS is
assigned via IPv4, it doesn't exist in the IPv4 lease tracking file
and hacking through the interface code briefly it looks like there is
mechanism for obtaining the DNS via DHCPv6 on the WAN side.  This is
further strengthened by the fact that I have correct ISP assigned IPv6
name servers assigned to me and they exist in the places I expect
based on that code.

nb