6to4 status (again)

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Tue Feb 26 14:41:30 CET 2013

On Tue, February 26, 2013 05:36, Ivan Pepelnjak wrote:
> Maybe it's time someone rewrites that code ;) The box you have should be
> pushing Gbps. See also
>
> http://erratasec.blogspot.co.at/2013/02/custom-stack-it-goes-to-11.html
>
> I know it's not going to happen ...

Some people are working on improving things:

> netmap is a very efficient framework for line-rate raw packet I/O from
> user space, which is capable to support 14.88Mpps on an ordinary PC and
> OS. Netmap integrates some known ideas into a novel, robust and easy to
> use framework that is available on FreeBSD and Linux without the need of
> special hardware or proprietary software.
>
> With netmap, it takes as little as 60-65 clock cycles to move one packet
> between the user program and the wire. As an example, a single core
> running at 900 MHz can generate the 14.8 Mpps that saturate a 10 GigE
> interface. This is a 10-20x improvement over the use of a standard device
> driver.

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/

It was incorporated into the FreeBSD development branch (forthcoming
10.x), and has been back-ported to the stable series (9.1, forthcoming
8.4). Only a few network drivers have been rewritten to take advantage of
it though.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=netmap