6to4 status (again)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Feb 26 03:20:04 CET 2013

On Feb 25, 2013, at 4:48 PM, Kevin Day <kevin at your.org> wrote:

> For most of 2012 the usage averaged about 50-100mbps, but lately we're seeing sustained levels of 500mbps-900mbps. I'd rather not deploy 10GE on our 6to4 box just to handle the traffic growth.
>
> Has anyone here looked at public 6to4 usage recently and seen similar trends?
>
> Part of me is thinking we should just rate limit the box to something more reasonable. While it's still running, it'll be slow enough that hopefully people will move to a better transitional technology. My fear is that it will cause more "v6 sucks, it's so slow" and people shut it off without looking at why.

I would say if you're going to run the service, run it high-quality.  It may not need you to drop in a 10GE, but to put in more regional 6to4 gateways.

Otherwise, disconnect it and don't look back.  So many people have access to native these days, or provider-based IPv6+IPv4 technologies, I don't see a lot of a reason to run a transition technology any more.

While it's still possible to find many providers without IPv6, with a bit of effort most people can get dual-stack.  (maybe with the exception of comcast business class users on their docsis service in the US).

- Jared (hearts native; dislikes tunnels and transition tech..)