multiple prefixes

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Thu Feb 14 17:35:27 CET 2013

On Thu, February 14, 2013 09:55, Andre Tomt wrote:

> If your prefix changes every time you dial in then your ISP is broken.
> The norm for dynamic prefixes are long leasetimes and mapping stored
> persistently by DUID and/or customer. There are some edge cases where
> the prefix can change, but "dialling in" or reconnecting should not be
> one of them. If you see something else in the field, please shame 'em :)

Personally I prefer this as the default behaviour: there are already
plenty of ways for (web) sites to track us without adding to the list.

I certainly understand the desire of having static(-y) addresses when
wanting to run servers, but having it as a (free/low-cost) option is
preferable to me.

For a while I had a router model that would automatically reconnect at 4
AM everyday so I could regularly get a new address. Perhaps I'm overly
paranoid, but I'm enough databases already that I don't feel the need to
help marketers do their jobs.