multiple prefixes

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Tue Feb 12 15:08:24 CET 2013

On 12-2-2013 14:38, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 12:46, Seth Mos wrote:
>> On 12-2-2013 13:18, Tore Anderson wrote:
>>> * Doug Barton

>>> Free, really?
>>>
>>> Which vendor gives away free NPTv6 translators?
>>
>> Since you likely need(want?) a firewall when implementing NPtv6 you can
>> probably just turn it on your platform.
>>
>> In the Open Source firewall pfSense version 2.1 it comes standard with
>> the other IPv6 support.
>
> Which ALGs are included?

None.

Was that a requirement of sorts? For a lot of client or server initiated
traffic, it works very similar to what we are used to.

With a few of the drawbacks ofcourse. I am not saying that SIP will just
work.

The recommended strategy in this case is picking 1 GUA prefix as the
"master" prefix, and setup the other one with NPtv6. This to reduce the
impact of translation. For outbound load balancing of port 80 traffic it
just happens to work.

Use policy based routing for the rest, the same issues with regards to
outbound SMTP filtering and DNS per ISP are still just as valid.

Regards,

Seth