multiple prefixes

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Feb 11 19:31:47 CET 2013

> Doug,
>
> On 11/02/2013 17:26, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 02/11/2013 06:09 AM, Tim Chown wrote:

>>> Any organisation that cares enough about renumbering
>>> implications of changing provider should be able to obtain/afford
>>> PI.
>>
>> The fact that this is demonstrably untrue has been demonstrated many
>> times.
>
> Can you cite the evidence for that? I've seen exactly the opposite
> assertion recently too, and I am curious to know the facts of the
> matter.

You mean other than the dozens of times operators have made the
statement that they care about renumbering? For most enterprises,
_especially_ the medium sized ones that fall into the category between
"small enough that renumbering isn't a problem" and "large enough to
have dedicated IT staff to handle it" this is a huge concern, and one of
the chief benefits of NATv4.

If all the times it has come up on IETF lists, NANOG, etc. don't do it
for you, my current day job involves working with enterprise customers
dealing with DNS/DHCP/IPAM. And that's enterprises of sizes small'ish
all the way up to multinationals. They all care about renumbering, and
dealing with the pain of it (even from one 1918 block to a different
one) is one of the reasons they hire us.

NAT is the common case, even on the production side nowadays. In
addition to the perceived security benefits, ease of renumbering
external address space is right up there in the top 2. For us not to
acknowledge this reality only serves to slow the pace of IPv6 adoption.

Doug