IPV6 Minimom alocation for recidential customers

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Tue Aug 20 16:36:10 CEST 2013

On 2013-08-20 16:33 , Arturo Servin wrote:

> 	I wouldn't say that it is dependent in the RIR, it is about an ISP
> decision, not about a regional organization. (note, I work for one).

Working for a RIR just means that you are implementing the rules that
are set by that RIRs membership. Thus working for one says little...

Every RIR has different rules and regulations, and on top of that they
keep on changing all the time too.

> 	It may be some bias from some organizations or individuals in those
> regions, but at the end the decision of using /64, /60, /56 or /48
> depends on the ISP alone.

As prefixes are allocated based on the amount of address space one
needs, the ISP receives that allocation from RIR based on the intended
usage. As such, it is also expected that the space is actually used for
those purposes.

Next to that there is a very nice IETF recommendation too...

If ISPs are just going to give a single /64 to end-sites, then they
could just as well just stick with IPv4.

Greets,
 Jeroen