Amount of announced IPv4-space by ASN not announcing IPv6?

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Tue Aug 13 20:49:54 CEST 2013

Hi Emile!

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 09:26 +0200, Emile Aben wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On 11/07/2013 10:15, Martin Millnert wrote:
> > Dear friends of integers,
> >
> > http://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/v6rpt.html appeared in an discussion on an IRC
> > channel recently, and it occurred to me that a crucial bit of
> > information is not available, namely "What is the total amount of IPv4
> > address space announced by ASNs which do (not) also announce IPv6?" (or
> > variants of).
>
> For 1 Aug 2013 I found that about 70% of IPv4 address space is announced
> by ASNs which also announce IPv6 address space.
> Short RIPE Labs article about it:
> https://labs.ripe.net/Members/emileaben/ipv6-asns-size-matters

:-)

Amazing.  Thanks for doing the numbers!
And yes, there are some large /8s, and public space is perhaps not
really indicative of number of end-hosts, etc, but even so, I think it
is a very interesting statistic to have, in addition to the
(pessimistic) 16.6% number.

We still have the last big problem with access enablement (how many
NRENs have member universities with access-enabled IPv6?), and CPEs.

> PS: apologies for late reply, it's vacation time :)

Hope your vacation was good. :)

Best regards,
Martin