enterprise IPv6 only client computers and IPv4 connectivity

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Apr 30 09:41:27 CEST 2013

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, Erik Kline wrote:

> Is NAT64/DNS64 without 464xlat really not good enough?  For Cameron's
> mobile phones, where Skype is important, that's a clear need for IPv4.
> But I suspect that /some/ enterprises might consider "can't run Skype"
> more of a feature than a bug.

Most enterprise have a lot of legacy applications, so I'd imagine running
IPv6 only without being able to do IPv4 literals just won't cut it.

> My point is simply that "not good enough" may be more subjective and
> less objective than I think your statement implies.

When I tried running NAT64/DNS64 on a Win7 machine a year ago, not even
MSN messenger worked. Very few applications apart from web browsing
worked. I can imagine a lot of software for video conferencing etc won't
work properly without being able to access things over IPv4.

I got a private pointer to <http://www.gogo6.com/freenet6/dslite> which
might be one way to solve it.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se