IPv6 DNS Config Strategies

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Sep 20 02:40:30 CEST 2012

On Sep 19, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Tim Densmore <tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've looked around at how-to docs, and have tinkered enough to get my feet wet, but would really like to have a good strategy for a layout when setting up BIND for v6.  For v4, I have my forwards and reverses cut up into multiple files that cover a /24 each.  This makes for tidy files, and lets me get to what I need to change quickly.  For v6 I can't see doing that for /64s, obviously, or even /48s, unless I just set the files up as I need them.  Reverse gets even more tricky.  I'd prefer to run with origin statements and PTRs of a reasonable string length, but again, do I do this at the /48 level?  An origin of /48 still leaves a long string to work with.
>
> Is there a good BCP doc anyone could point me to?
>
> Thanks!

Tim,

Some old hands at naming and addressing management would suggest organizing A/AAAA zones based on naming authority and natural breaks in the DNS tree.  Then create PTR zones with whatever automated process fits your business.  Worrying about some poor human and string lengths is counter-productive.

As Norbert Weiner would, consider the "Human Use of Human Beings". In other words, create zones to follow the business requirements for management of naming, including delegation of authority as required, and let automation satisfy any PTR requirements.

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com