IPv6 Ignorance

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Sep 18 10:48:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:41:02AM +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Am 18.09.2012 10:28, schrieb Philipp Kern:
> > Sorry for getting off-topic???
> >
> > I know that M-net is a nice example these days. As for the other company
> > based in Munich: AFAICS it's still way too expensive for a private
> > customer because it's managed access and aimed at businesses.
>
> Thats not true. Every private mnet-customer (DSL, not fiber) can switch
> on IPv6 by changing some letters at the accountlogin.
>
> That's not expensive. But it is not default, there is no support and no
> marketing, only a small hint at mnets forum pages.

Philipp was pointing out that *we* are too expensive - and he's right,
as our company structure and overhead is really not targeting mass-market
customers (= every euro counts, and the competition is extreme) but
business customers with non-typical requirements, where "provider can
deliver this at all" trumps "low price".

M-Net is a very good choice if you need a DSL line in the Munich,
Nueremberg or Augsburg area, and they have working and sort-of-supported
v6 these days - /56 assigned by DHCP-PD, router address assigned by RA.

Rumors say that DTAG is going to have IPv6 on their DSL products "real
soon now"... let's see.  Now would be a very good time to launch this,
and enjoy the press attention.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279