IPv6 Ignorance

Philipp Kern phil at philkern.de
Tue Sep 18 10:28:45 CEST 2012

Sorry for getting off-topic…

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:37:13AM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 05:48:21PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > addresses[1]. Of course I then need to be able to reach my boxes/VMs
> > from the networks I'm on. Then, as a customer, I would take my money
> > elsewhere if I could[2] to get native IPv6 connectivity. Which then
> > equates with the DSL provider getting less money.
> > [2] Which is basically impossible wrt DSL providers in Germany.
> I think a certain company from the Munich area offered it even
> earlier, but was maybe slightly on the expensive side for a private
> customer.

I know that M-net is a nice example these days. As for the other company
based in Munich: AFAICS it's still way too expensive for a private
customer because it's managed access and aimed at businesses.

> That's not true. At least in the last about 6 years you have been
> able to access several dual stack providers at least via T-DSL&ZISP;
> I've checked the RCS log of my FAQ "ipv6-providers" from Usenet
> de.comm.provider.suche to be sure about the year.

That might have been true six years ago. Today getting a ZISP-capable
T-DSL connection is ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives,
given that what you get is not rate-adaptive, but fixed-rate. So DTAG
would sell me 2 Mbit/s (not more, because I'm too far away!) for 38,46 €
mrc (159,90 € nrc)[1] without any kind of internet access (let's say
another 9 € mrc for a flatrate). Normal DSL providers (even DTAG with
their normal non-T-DSL products) charge maybe 25 € mrc and 60 € nrc for
10 Mbit/s rate-adaptive. And with a free HE.net tunnel it also has
wire-speed IPv6 with customizable rDNS and comparable latency.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] €20.51 mrc for T-DSL2000, €17.95 mrc for Call Basic
    I don't know if T-DSL16000 can be ordered with RAM, at least it
    is not possible for resellers to order. That would be €30.77 mrc.