IPv6 Ignorance

JP Viljoen froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Mon Sep 17 08:25:33 CEST 2012

On 16 Sep 2012, at 9:01 PM, Jens Link <lists at quux.de> wrote:

> JP Viljoen <froztbyte at froztbyte.net> writes:
>
>> Personally, I think all such reasons are … antiquated. Anyone got any
>> suggestions on how to approach people who rile against it?
>
> Easy: Don't argue! Let them continue using vintage IP. Only offer to
> help once. And if you can choose between a service using only vintage IP
> and one that is dual stacked, use the last one and let the first one
> know why you changed.

While I agree with the sentiment, there are some unfortunate cases where I can't just make it go away that way. I can't really say too much more without sounding like an ass, though. Anyway, was just wondering if anyone had any solid convincing arguments for overcoming stubbornness, but I suppose it's much like any other sort of stubbornness where they'll have to learn through pain...

> And keep a list of all the people you asked about IPv6 and who claimed
> that they don't need it. And have your special[1] consulting rate ready
> for these people when they really urgently need IPv6. And they will need
> IPv6 urgently.

I thought everyone had this list for all things? ;)

> This whole IPv6 business reminds me a little oft 1999. In May or June
> of 1999 I went to a database training course. Trainer: "I told my first
> customer about the year 2000 problem in 1981. He called last
> week. Does anybody know Cobol?"

Ah yes; the other fun variation is when you're the only person who can still remember how anything worked, and life support is suddenly a top priority. Very profitable life support.

-J