IPv6 Ignorance

Marco Hogewoning mch-v6ops at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 7 11:14:27 CEST 2012

> On 06/10/2012 11:26, Marco Hogewoning wrote:
>> The good news, in contract to popular belief, those CPE don't live
>> forever. Yes some might last for 4 or 5 years, but sooner or later they
>> will puff out the magic blue smoke and it has to be replaced.
>
> Unless they're early model alcatel speedtouchs.  When the earth explodes in
> 5 billion years, there will be speedtouch modems ejected in the debris
> blast, and they will be fully functional.  Those and the cisco 6500s:
> almost completely indestructible.

If you use a 6500 as a CPE, I would suggest you buy a small real CPE maybe even a 26xx or 8xx series. The cost savings in terms of electricity bill will pay for it in a month or so.

You might be right on the speedtouch, but you missed my point. That box probably does not come with 802.1n and other nice to haves.

Marco