IPv6 Ignorance

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Fri Oct 5 21:55:07 CEST 2012

>> Or is the assumption that we'd give them, say, a
>> >v4 /29 and a v6 /48 and have them do their own nat64 or whatever?
> Why would they need to do NAT64? If they are dual stacked, they are
> home free.
>
>     Brian
Hi Brian,

The proposed hypothetical customer needed a /24 according to their
requirements.  A /29 falls pretty far short without some sort of
NAT/PAT.  I suppose it's possible that dual stack would make up for
that, but I wouldn't expect it to, currently.  Anyway, this is well into
the realms of straw men - my current "big blocks" concern isn't a
collo'd server, it's a hotel that needs multiple IPs per room or the
WISP that needs a /24 and a /25.  So far, IME, IPv6 doesn't help in
either of these cases.  I'll be very glad when it does.

TD