IPv6 Ignorance

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:49:21 CEST 2012

On 05/10/2012 17:31, Tim Densmore wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> On 10/5/2012 4:03 AM, Thorsten Dahm wrote:
>> I completely understand your situation. And I know that you can't do
>> much about it.
>
> So things are clear, I was just using cost as an example.  We *are*
> deploying IPv6, but not using slaac for anything yet.  How we get v6 to
> small customer CPE is still not decided, so we'll have to work that out
> down the road.  I'm obviously still "just getting my feet wet" but I'm
> working towards 100% IPv6 availability.
>

>> Simple example: If I come to you as a small company and want from you
>> connectivity and a /24 for my servers, office and so on. And you have
>> to tell me that you don't have a /24 anymore and you also can't offer
>> me IPv6. But the next company is offering me IPv6, maybe a special
>> service contract to set up my router initally and such. You may can
>> keep existing customers, but it will be hard to get new ones. And to
>> keep the old ones, because they may ask for something else sooner or
>> later as well.
>
> Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but assuming I only
> have basic dual-stack connectivity available, how much value is even a
> /48 going to be to a customer who wants to collo servers? Making the
> assumption that the customer wants these servers in place for internet
> facing services, what percentage of the internet connected hosts would
> be able to reach that service at this point in time?  I don't have
> nat64/dns64 setup yet, and honestly am not sure that it's the direction
> I want to go.

Indeed not, unless you have to support a bunch of IPv6-only clients, and that
isn't likely any time soon, is it?

The value to a content provider is being ready for IPv6-only clients when
they show up.

More at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-icp-guidance/

> Using my own internet connection as an example, if I turn off IPv4, I
> can reach almost nothing via a browser, and I don't think it's much of a
> stretch to say that most people think email+browser=internet.  Dual
> stack, I reach some services via v6, like google and youtube and cisco
> pages, but most of them seem to be sort of half-baked v6.  So, bringing
> this back around to your point, how does a v6 only connection help this
> hypothetical customer?

It doesn't.

> Or is the assumption that we'd give them, say, a
> v4 /29 and a v6 /48 and have them do their own nat64 or whatever?

Why would they need to do NAT64? If they are dual stacked, they are
home free.

   Brian