OT: cheap colo space in Southern Germany/Munich

Garry Glendown garry at nethinks.com
Sat Nov 24 22:44:38 CET 2012

On 24.11.2012 22:23, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> models. And it was clear since years that some of them will die
> It might have been clear for years, but there's such a thing
> as sending a clear message, and ability to plan ahead.
> Apparently, some hosters are better than others in that
> respect.
Let me guess - you ended up with the latter by selecting the cheapest
place you could find to operate your servers at.

I guess you get what you pay for, after all ...

I do understand your frustration, but I believe if such a minor price
increase is breaking your business model, you've been heading to failure
with or without IPv4 exhaustion ... I don't know what all you sell, but
if all you're doing is hosting/hosting, and doing it for a minimal
profit margin to compete with the big players, you had to know you'd go
out of business earlier or later. Same thing happened to ISPs in the
late 90's. After the goldrush phase of the mid-90s many people opened up
as an ISP, and made a decent living with it. Until big providers like
DTAG decided they wanted most of the cake others were eating. Most of
those small ISPs' business model only had Internet access at the core.
And that mostly to private customers. What happened? Prices dropped,
private customers didn't see any advantage of sticking to their
local/regional provider and instead switched to the big ones, whose
prices kept dropping even further. Result: Most of the small providers
went broke because they didn't have either the funds or experience to
adapt. Survival of the fittest (apart from the ones with the biggest
pockets, of course).

In essence, change your business model if you can, make your money from
other services, and either drop hosting altogether, or just do reselling
as an add-on to your services. Either you have something to offer
customers want or need, or you don't. If you don't, as hard as it
sounds, cut your losses and give it up ...

-garry