PXE booting over IPv6

Trevor Warwick (twarwick) twarwick at cisco.com
Wed Nov 21 17:49:09 CET 2012

Many years ago, IPv6 was only included in the higher level IOS feature sets, not ipbase.

We started to change this probably 4-5 years ago to ensure that all IOS images would include equivalent levels of IPv4 and IPv6 support for their included feature content, assuming such support had been implemented. I.e. there would be no extra license needed for the IPv6 capabilities.

As there was an engineering cost to do this, and also concerns about increasing the required memory size for basic images on small boxes, the decision was taken in some cases not to retro-fit this change to the older platforms. ISR-G1 and ISR-G2 being an obvious example as you have observed, where the G1s didn't get it.

Trevor