Current IPv6 deployment methods in datacentres.

Wade Roberts expiry.void at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:40:28 CET 2012

I've seen deployments assign /56 and /60 to end users, but reserve the entire /48 for them. The rationale being the expectation for customers only receiving a smaller block, but it's easy enough to expand to the full customer block if requested or otherwise required to do so.

Along similar lines I've observed networks reserving a null routed /64 for each point-to-point link and only configuring a /126 or /127.

There's no need to hard code conservation into v6 netblock allocations, but a lot of us network engineers still remember obtaining scars from the v4 life support war.

--
Wade