Skype 8 does not support ipv6

Dan York york at
Fri Nov 2 15:44:33 CET 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at> wrote:
> Yet another year goes by, and Skype still remains one of the most popular apps, and thus its ipv4 dependence blocks meaningful ipv6-only adoption. Skype  is the poster child of ipv4 dependence.  This engineering failure at Microsoft (owns Skype) pushes cost on to other actors in the internet ecosystem and is a market failure where a more costly and more cgn broken internet is the result.  See the official tweet below stating no support.

Yes, Skype's failure to support IPv6 *is* a major hurdle for many organizations and *is* the reason I've had multiple people tell me they can't move to an IPv6-only network (or even is just a blocker for them to even think about IPv6, i.e. "Skype doesn't work with IPv6 so why should we bother").  In truth, it is the primary reason why *I* can't move to using only IPv6 within my home network.

That said, I don't know precisely what can be done other than continue to express the need to Skype/Microsoft for IPv6 support and to make public statements about the desire for this.  I've reached out to various contacts I have within Skype and received basically the same comment - that they know it is of interest but do not have a timeframe for IPv6 support.  Hopefully now that the Microsoft acquisition is farther in the past this can perhaps be something they work on.  We'll see.

Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society
york at   +1-802-735-1624
Jabber: york at
Skype: danyork