Question: Sharing an IP-connection

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun May 20 21:55:23 CEST 2012

Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 01:51:56PM +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
>> What would you do to share this via LAN (eth0) or WLAN(wlan0)?
>> Would you try bridging (bridge-utils with brctl) or special routing
>> hacks(neighbor proxy)?
>> Other suggestions?
>
> The religiously correct answer is "run DHCP-PD to receive an extra /64
> to be used on the 'LAN side' interface".
>
> If that's not available, I think it very much depends on how "ethernet-like"
> your wwan0 is, and whether it permits arbitrary MAC addresses, or just a
> single one - in that case, brctl or ndp proxy might both work...

The wwan0 interface will allow any MAC address (the driver will often
use a random one), but the modem plays a few tricks with neigbour
discovery so I am not going to bet on *multiple* MAC addresses working
until it is tested.

Does bridging work, Thomas?  If so, then that would be my favourite
alternative as long as there is no DHCP-PD (and I guess there isn't?)

Bjørn