DHCPv6 Confirm in DOCSIS networks

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Fri May 18 11:16:44 CEST 2012

* Daniel Roesen

> Wild guess: check wether the client accidentially unicasts the CONFIRM
> request... I think I saw such brokeness somewhere, some time ago (don't
> remember vendor and circumstances).

Hi,

It's sent to the ff02::1:2 multicast address. I'm using ISC dhclient
version 4.2.3-8.P2, the standard one included in Fedora 16. You can see
the two connections in the PCAP @ http://fud.no/get-init.pcap. Frames
1-7 is the initial connection with no cached lease, 8-13 is after
reseating the Ethernet cable betwen my laptop and the modem. I don't see
anything wrong with the exchange, but maybe you have better eyes...

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com