Have we been opted out of IPv6 AAAA resolution?

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 12:08:45 CEST 2012

On 6 Jun 2012, at 18:06, Tim Chown wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2012, at 17:51, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/12 17:45, Matthew Cook wrote:
>>

>>> Interestingly there are ten IP netblocks listed for AS 786 (Janet in
>>> the UK), including our two class Bs 131.231.0.0/16 and
>>> 158.125.0.0/16.
>>
>> A colleague notes that there are very little else in the way of
>> obvious UK netblocks in there (one for Microsoft); I'm wondering
>> whether that's because no-one else in the UK has IPv6, or as Tony
>> suggested, an outage has tainted all our statistics ;o)
>
> We're fine here.  I assume we'd have seen the same outage, unless
> it only affected you northerners ;)

It was problems with a TiNET peering in Manchester, so it may well
have had a disproportionate effect for some sites, depending on how
JANET do their traffic engineering.  Obviously for some people The
North starts even further south than Watford. :-)

Sam

Sam Wilson
Network Team, IT Infrastructure
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.