strange osx privacy address behavior

Erik Kline ek at google.com
Fri Jun 1 22:40:36 CEST 2012

>> Looking on the network via a mirror port I see the router (Cisco) doing
>> neighbor solicitations for the macs privacy address but I never see
>> neighbor advertisement in response from the mac. Also the router does
>> not show the privacy address from the mac in it neighbors table.

I might start by investigating in this area right here.  A
privacy/temporary address is no different from any other address and
it really needs to play by all the regular Neighbor Discovery rules.

That's why I suggested off list it might be a firewalling issue (not
allowing NDP packets through for addresses that mistakenly aren't
classified as being owned by the box, for example).

But things like ping6 to the v6 address, the v6 link-local (try the
multicast group that the privacy addr should have caused the box to
join), etc.  Maybe it's a red herring by it smells fishy.