CloudFlare IPv6 BGP announcements - WTF guys?

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Jul 17 08:13:56 CEST 2012

Am 17.07.2012 00:16, schrieb Sascha Luck:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:44:26PM +0200, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
>> You will never be able to make it strict later, there will always be
>> networks on auto-pilot saying "this used to work, I don't care". Which
>> is why I was advocating for strict filtering in the beginning.
>
> Granted. The reaction of the customers - who know nothing about DFZs and
> RIR politics -  of both the filtering and the filtered operators, will
> be something along the lines of: "Bugger this IPv6 lark, it's useless,I
> can't reach a thing"
> And I figure uptake is fragile enough to not hamper it any more than
> absolutely necessary.

This is a similar argument to the reasons why no content offers wanted
to do IPv6 in the past. If you are the only one filtering/having AAAA
you are by definition the bad guy breaking the internet. If most are
filtering/having AAAA the blame is shifted to the people actually not
doing it correctly.

If 50% of the networks had filtered more-specifics from the beginning,
we would not be in the situation where people announced
smaller-than-allocated and got through with it. It would just be a known
fact that these would not work (like >/24 in IPv4).

I have the bad feeling it is too late now.

Bernhard