Netgroup support of ipv6 in Solaris/Linux

Ignatios Souvatzis ignatios at cs.uni-bonn.de
Mon Jan 16 14:54:50 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 04:50:25PM -0500, Matthew Huff wrote:
> So far, it appears that ipv6 breaks netgroups in both Solaris and Linux. Has anyone run into this or have a solution?
>
> Basically if two machines both have IPv6 addresses even with fully resolvable inverse addresses, tools that depend on netgroups fail. Disabling ipv6 on either of the machine resolves the problem.

no problem here.

I use a NetBSD-5.99 server, until a year ago a Solaris10 server.
I use NetBSD-5 and Solaris10 clients.

Tow services are using netgroups:

a)

passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis

for password selection and

b) NFS filesystem exports.

It's no problem, but you have to make sure to make put the fully
qualified domain name (maybe as well as the shortened) into the
netgroup, _as it comes out of reverse resolving_ - you might have
the same host in several domains (as we do) and the wrong one won't
do in netgroup for nfs access checking. (We're mounting a filesystem
for student home directories from the neighbour department, and had
that problem in the past.)

Regards,
	-is