yum IPv6 repos

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Sun Feb 19 22:39:24 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 07:31:56PM -0500, Voll, Toivo wrote:
> I'm not sure if I entirely buy that... The factors you gave (and others) certainly are all true, but at the same time whenever we press vendors for IPv6 support, we get feedback to the tune that nobody else is asking for it, and amongst networking engineer peer meetings there are discussions about keeping up pressure for IPv6 support and keeping IPv6 support in requirement documents for new purchases in order to keep the momentum going.

Some of the bid documents I've seen have included a request IPv6 support, from equipment and software vendors, and from ISPs. However, none have *required* IPv6, and I have not seen evidence of people refusing a lower price or making a change away from their preferred vendor because of IPv6. As a prime example, there's an ISP used by many US universities because they routinely sell bandwidth at around $1/Mbps/mo, and they are well known for having very weak v6 peering (no Hurricane Electric and no Google for starters). Clearly the price is more important than the v6, in that case.

I would love for it to be different, but so far it isn't.

> It may be that I'm just seeing a self-selected group, but overall I think that universities are doing a pretty decent job with IPv6. I know we've embraced it, and have run a public mirror for several distributions with native IPv6 support for years now. (ftp.usf.edu)

I'm glad that USF is helping to lead the way, but have a look here:

http://www.mrp.net/IPv6_Survey.html

Bill.