Congratulations to Germany, Netherlands and Portugal ;-)

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Dec 14 10:44:59 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 09:04:23AM +0100, Martin Millnert wrote:
> PCP is largely equivalent to a two-hop UPnP v2, right? This will be
> great for applications obviously, provided the CGN port allocator is
> sufficiently well-configurable, to limit ports, etc.
> But I was talking about human-managed mappings though.

PCP is a protocol to communicate desired mappings to a LSN device at the
ISP. Wether the source is UPnP or the CPE's UI or whatever isn't
relevant. Of course UPnP-IGD relayed to PCP is the obvious one, but as a
PCP client can request specific port(s) to be forwarded, PCP can also be
used to ask for well-known ports being forwarded. Wether the PCP server
(LSN device) plays along is a different story. :)

> Since IPv4 has run out (in RIPE+APNIC land), obviously (ipv4 address,
> proto, port) for any well-known port has as well. Is implied by
> "run-out" IMO.  You don't get well-known ports in IPv4 land behind CGN.

That's not obvious to everyone. It will be interesting to see who
allows PCP to which extend.

Best regards,
Daniel