Anarchy in the UK?

Ignatios Souvatzis ignatios at cs.uni-bonn.de
Wed Dec 12 13:13:51 CET 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 01:03:46PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:45:26PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> > If I were to post here every time I see IPv6 running into yet another
> > roadblock (like DTAG "yes, we do IPv6, but not on existing lines, you
> > have to get a new contract, and then only on the 'all-IP with voip'
> > products"), I wouldn't do anything else all day...
>
> That said a product change (which sort of implies a new contract) was
> enough for a DTAG customer I know. And they're actively pushing expiring
> contracts to All-IP. (They want to get customers away from their
> POTS/ISDN equipment.)
>
> It's sad that we don't know the real reason for this, if they, as big as
> they are, really have hardware that doesn't support the features they
> need or if it's an insane business reason.

don't know about POTS. ISDN for new customers won't be available in all
regions in about two years, or so I've read; the reason is that the chips
won't be made any longer soon, and nobody wants to invest design new ISDN
chips with today's wafer technology.

At some point they'll have to save the remaining chips for repairs of
equipment, and the less they have the better.

Regards,
	-is