Anarchy in the UK?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 12:52:02 CET 2012

On 12/12/12 11:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Let me just delurk and say that I'm slightly surprised no one has
> commented on this rather depressing news.  Perhaps it was just too obvious.
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20646710>

Personally, I didn't comment because I thought it was a non-story.

"6UK (set up in 2010) shut down because the government have more
important things on their mind right now than IPv6-awareness."

Wow, what an amazing outcome. UK economy in the toilet and possibly
about to enter a triple-dip recession, and the government are not
spending time on IPv6!!

At this stage, post-IPv6-day, I think the UK government has little to
contribute. About the most effective thing they could do would be tax
breaks for residential ISPs proportional to the numbers of customers
with IPv6 addresses, but it would be an absolute *nightmare* to
administer, and in case you haven't noticed, tax is a hot-button issue
here at the moment ;o)

I rule out procurement changes, because the big buyers are people like
the NHS who have far, far bigger problems than IPv6 to worry about in
their networks.

They don't need to do anything; just get out of the way. It's not often
I agree with our Tory masters, but on this, inaction is fine.