Anybody behind a NAT64?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Dec 7 00:00:06 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:21:14PM +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:
> Yes, my mobile provider Mobile Norway has an IPv6-capable APN. It's not
> IPv6-only though, as it supports both IPv4 and IPv6 PDP contexts, but
> not dual-stack IPv4v6 ones yet. The IPv6 PDP context comes with
> NAT64/DNS64 service, but I can also use IPv4 and IPv6 PDP contexts in
> parallel to get true dual-stack connectivity if the equipment supports
> it.

True dual-stack using DNS64? :) What DNS recursors do mobile handsets
use when both IPv4 and IPv6 PDP contexts do get established (or IPv4v6
for that matter)?

As far as I can see, properly supporting IPv6-only clients via
NAT64+DNS64 in the same... uhm... "network segment" is still an unsolved
problem. Still didn't find time (and motivation) to write up my approach
of using an EDNS "DNS64 desired" flag signalling. :)

Best regards,
Daniel