DHCP6 default router

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Dec 3 15:12:43 CET 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 06:08:52PM +0200, Max Tulyev wrote:
> Router sends RA, and client _port_ receives it, checked with sniffer and
> own notebook.
>
> But autoconfig got well and it works well only on four(!) customers of
> several thousands in total. I think it is too small.
>
> Another about ten customers go through DHCP6 cycle and got PD prefix,
> but do not use it.
>
> Routers are property of customers, so there are a lot of different
> routers customers bought by their own. The technology is ETTH, so
> typical router is one Ethernet uplink, several Ethernet downlinks and WiFi.

Oh, customer *routers*.  Are you sure they have IPv6 enabled?

The typical process for customer routers (like AVM Fritz!Box) is:

 - RA is used to tell the router about router IPv6 address + default route
   (or the default route is just set to the outgoing PPP interface, for
   PPPoE/PPPoA interfaces with active IPv6CP)

 - DHCPv6 PD is used to get customer prefix

In your case, with ETTH, I think you'll have to check with the router
vendor to see what is happening - hard to say anything useful without
knowing the model and whether that one is IPv6 capable at all...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279