Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Stefan Neufeind v6ops at stefan-neufeind.de
Tue Aug 21 12:09:28 CEST 2012

On 08/20/2012 07:45 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

[...]

> Scenario #2:
>
> $ISP: oh hai, we are filtering out ur /48s, pls to be givin us moniez
>
> Akamai: lol no.  if you don't want akamai v6 traffic, feel free to have
> your helpdesk tell your customers that their interwebs is broken because of
> your prefix aggregation demands.
>
> $ISP: how dare you!  you're breaking our network!  we demand that you stop!

Well, after all it's each providers decision to "break the internet"
when they filter. I agree that suggesting commonly used things like
registering route6-objects or so is good. And I'm almost pretty sure
that Akamai would consider it, since that's not too much work and really
commonly used to build filters. However if people want to stick to
filtering on /32 then that's *their* decision imho. Well, if you don't
want a "full internet" get a default-route from your upstream :-)
It doesn't make things (much) better to have them register 800 /48 PI or
so - just to make filter-fanatics happy. Welcome to real life.

Kind regards,
 Stefan