Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Mon Aug 20 23:01:39 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 18:45 +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > I guess what the real thing is that the time is RIPE for a RIPE address
> > plan which is akin to ARIN's Micro Allocations.
>
> The current RIPE recommendations are to filter on /48 for v6.  No clue
> about Arinland or Apnicistan.

Hi,

The RIPE document:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-532
<<
RIPE Routing Working Group Recommendations on IPv6 Route Aggregation
(...)
Recommendation

It is suggested that prefix filters allow for prudent subdivision of an
IPv6 allocation. The operator community will ultimately decide what
degree of subdivision is supportable, but the majority of ISPs accept
prefixes up to a length of /48 within PA space.

Advertisement of more specific prefixes should not be used unless
absolutely necessary and, where sensible, a covering aggregate should
also be advertised. Further, LIRs should use BGP methods such as
NO_EXPORT [RFC-1997] and NOPEER [RFC-3765] or provider-specific
communities, as described in RIPE-399 to limit the propagation of more
specific prefixes in the routing table.

Operators should register appropriate "route6" objects in their
preferred routing registry, or ROAs in the RPKI, to reflect any more
specific advertisements.
(...)

About 1% of AS do not implement this recommendation and
filter at /32 in PA space.

Not having route6 is clearly not good but /48 in RIPE PA space
shouldn't be an issue here for use by CDN like Akamai.

Sincerely,

Laurent