Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Mon Aug 20 23:31:34 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 23:24 +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
<snip>
> Seriously though, you *can* go to the RIPE NCC and say in one single
> request «I've got 1000+ sites, please give me a /48 for each of them». I
> can't see any reason why such a request would be rejected. You'd
> probably get a nice contiguous /38 (shorter if you document a growth
> expectation) from the PI range, from which people that filter strictly
> allow /48s. Win-win.

+1

Was wondering exactly the same thing.  What's the perceived benefit of
*not* doing this?  Save 50 EUR/year?  Less breakage? (ie, it takes
longer to fix them?)

Though I'm all fine with this /48 from PA blocks thingy (had been out of
the loop on this one).  Makes it doable to set up my /48-from-PA-/32 LIR
1-click-webshop :)

 "v6 for everybody, dance"

/M