Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Mon Aug 20 23:24:45 CEST 2012

* Patrick W. Gilmore

> Hi everyone.  How's it hangin'?

Hi - happily accepting your /48s, thanks for asking!

Reading your message left me with a few questions, though...

> We prefer to use a block from the ISP hosting the node

So you prefer getting individual assignments for each of your nodes.
Okay, with you so far.

> When necessary, [...], we have to make a decision whether the node is
> worth using our own IP space.

Hmm. So if you prefer getting individual assignments in the first place,
why don't get individual PI assignments as a second best option in this
case?

> i.e. when the hosting ISP cannot give us space

Say *what*? Do these really exist - [IPv6 enabled] ISPs that can not
provide their customers with [IPv6] address space? That sounds like
something out of a thedailywtf.com post to me.

> [...] come up with a better solution than asking for 1000+ /32s.

So you haven't just come across *one* such absurd ISP, but over a
thousand? That's good news for IPv6 deployment, I suppose - here I
thought that I would be hard pressed to find over a thousand
IPv6-enabled ISPs full stop - but these weird ISPs of yours must surely
be outnumbered greatly by the normal ones that happily assign you
address space...right? Perhaps you could just take your business to
those instead? I've got space for you, racks AND addresses, if you need
it... ;-)

Seriously though, you *can* go to the RIPE NCC and say in one single
request «I've got 1000+ sites, please give me a /48 for each of them». I
can't see any reason why such a request would be rejected. You'd
probably get a nice contiguous /38 (shorter if you document a growth
expectation) from the PI range, from which people that filter strictly
allow /48s. Win-win.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson