Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Aug 2 14:56:35 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:31:19PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> Question, with growth and room for efficient routing, I'd imagine people
> will need to start talking to their RIR to get larger subnets. Will the
> RIRs accept these calculations and approve these sizes?

Unfortunately, at least RIPE NCC doesn't care about long-term planning
in IPv6. They (as I was told) care only about approx 2 years window. So
the addressing plan you have to present when asking for more than /32
(now more than /29) may only cover two years. And then you are supposed
to come back, ask for more and prove that you fulfil the draconic
HD-ratio of 0.94, which basically means around 1/3 of your allocation
fully utilized.

There is a big disconnect between real needs and policy for certain
larger scale residential ISPs today, if you actually want to leverage
operational advantages of IPv6 (read: having more bits for nice
addressing and aggregation schemes).

Best regards,
Daniel