Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Thu Aug 2 12:35:03 CEST 2012

Hi Doug,

> Evidence please.
>
> I think (and no, I don't have hard facts here either, just experience)
> that the vast majority of home users have 1 network device, and could
> live quite happily with 1 v6 subnet.
>
> The people who buy, and use, multiple routers at the same time are us. :)

Unfortunately with IPv4 I have seen many cases where people buy routers with wireless interfaces instead of (layer-2) wireless access points. Usually because the routers are cheaper and easier to get. They then plug the WAN port of the second router into one of the LAN ports of the first router and do NAT twice. With IPv4 this usually works well enough for them.

I agree that this is an ugly solution and not a well-designed network, but these are just home users who plug devices together until it seems to work :-)

- Sander